Charles Russell Speechlys are delighted to be a partner in G3 Futures, and assist in the development and furthering of the games industry in the South East. The team is led by Nick Hurley here in Guildford.
About the Firm
Formed in 2014 by the merger of Charles Russell and Speechly Bircham we aim to be the leading English law firm combining specialist business law and private wealth advice internationally. We have more than 170 partners and over 500 lawyers, operating from 10 offices in London, UK regions, Europe and the Middle East. Our Guildford office is recognised as “regional heavyweight” providing local expertise with the backing of an International Law firm.
What we do
Our lawyers in the Games Team have wide ranging experience advising investors, developers, publishers and licensees of computer games. Our experience ranges from assisting publishers of hardware based computer games and multiplayer online role-playing games to small independent developers. Our clients cover the full breadth of the games industry and include Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE), NCSOFT, UKIE, independent developers, games investors, games start-ups and educational establishments. Our team is drawn from experts in the fields of commercial, corporate, disputes, employment and property with a passion and knowledge of the games industry and the issues faced by those in it. Our deep industry knowledge means we “get you” and your needs. We also deliver a service which is solutions orientated and highly personal. Our aim is to work in partnership with our clients to achieve the required commercial solution at a sensible cost.
Recent Games Experience – our track record
- Acting for a market leading MMORPG publisher in respect of the entire life cycle of its games from development to exploitation including data protection, consumer law issues and brand protection.
- Advising (including with respect to dispute resolution and insolvency issues) a company providing outsourced games development services on recovering a substantial investment made by it to a developer of a well-known and popular games app.
- Acting for the European operation of a leading Australian games company on commercial, agency and distribution and property matters both in the UK and Europe.
- Acting for a games investor in High Court litigation in respect of a royalties and rights dispute arising from a development and publishing agreement.
- Acting for a Host Europe Group (the biggest domain registrar in the UK and Europe’s largest virtualisation provider) on the acquisition of MCN Media Limited, the owner of the Sign-Up.to brand, a specialist Permission Marketing software platform company.
- Advising start-up games companies regarding funding, tax and commercial issues.
- Advising start-up games companies on their employment documentation including the contract of employment, staff handbook and “freelance” contracts for services.
- Advising SCEE on all aspects of their employment policies and the impact of new legislation.
- Advising SCEE on their working relationship with interns and associated policy and letter of engagement.
- Advising SCEE on the management of grievances and disciplinary matters and representing the company in disputes in the employment tribunals.
- Advising UKIE on the employment status of workers and on employment policy.
- Advising and representing UKIE in employment related disputes.
- Advising SCEE on restructuring and “right-sizing” in respect of project work within the business.
- Advising a University in respect of legal aspects of its games incubation programme including agreements with key commercial partners.